Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hiatus ended

It has been nearly a year since I wrote on anything in this blog. I've been busy with other things. More on that later.

Right now, there is one thing in the forefront of my mind. That is the sudden and still unexplained cancellation of Issues, Etc., one of the very few Christ-centered, Cross-focused Christian talk radio shows on the air anywhere in the U.S.--and the sudden and still unexplained firing of host, Pastor Todd Wilken and producer, Jeff Schwarz.

Although there are plenty of us who are very unhappy about this situation, the powers-that-be in the LC-MS simply refuse to give a cogent explanation or reconsider their decision. KFUO radio says "The decision was made..." and it was for "programmatic and business reasons". President Kieschnick said, "The KFUO decision transpired with my awareness but neither by my order nor at my direction."

So who finally made the decision? Won't the real decision-maker stand up and explain him or herself? No one wants to take the credit/blame. No one wants to explain why the one program that brought in the most money to listener-supported KFUO was canceled for business reasons. No one wants to explain how one of the best outreach tools the Synod has was canceled for programmatic reasons.

And if this decision transpired with Dr. Kieschnick's awareness, would he care to let us know of his opinion on the decision? I mean, it was not at his order or direction, but does that mean he doesn't concur with it? Or does he concur, but just doesn't want to take any of the heat. Sir, you are the President of the LC-MS. It seems that you could and should be a great deal more forthcoming on this issue.

I wrote to David Strand, Executive Director of Communications for the Synod. I expressed to him how upset I was over this situation, asked for an explanation and asked for the show to be brought back. I did receive a response. Basically, he said he was sorry I was upset. That's it.

Well, the decision has been made to remove the KFUO donations line in my household budget. I was aware of this decision, but it was not made at my order or direction. It just sorta happened.

I'm not sure that those involved in this travesty were aware of the outcry this action would provoke, but one thing I am absolutely sure of was that they were fully aware that what they were doing was wrong and very un-Christian. Otherwise, those who made the decision would be willing to identify themselves and give a cogent rational reason, not mealy-mouthed, wholly unsatisfactory proclamations.

For more information, to sign the petition or to donate to the fund for Pastor Wilken and Jeff Schwarz, see the right sidebar.

1 comment:

barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is